At 08:37 PM 6/18/2011, you wrote:
Why Levi is upset is more evident in this exchange between Steven Krivit and Luigi Versaggi P. https://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/cold-fusion-andrea-rossi-method/i-made-a-question-to-steven-krivit/235485236468276 If I recall correctly someone wrote on the vortex list back in feburary or march that Galantini never wrote a report, so that fact is not news. Steven Kirvit managed to catch Levi uttering a 'white lie' to *him*. Is that fact news? Harry

Here is Krivit's report, copied in its entirety for commentary and criticism:

Steven B. Krivit says:

June 18, 2011 at 04:55

Caro Luigi,

Many of my readers were asking me for a report. My quick report is based on the facts that I have been able to obtain as of this point in time. There is nothing conclusive about my quick report and people would have been in gross error to assume any kind of conclusion based on that quick report alone.

This was my impression also. I could not tell from the preliminary report what kind of stand Krivit was going to take on the steam issue. The vehement attacks from Levi and Rossi complicate the issue.

As you know, I have identified a crucial factor which could, repeat, could have an immense bearing on the validity and viability of the E-Cat. I certainly hope for the best for the E-Cat but Levi and Rossi’s responses today seem to be more along the lines of attacking me personally rather than clearly explaining and providing support for this crucial factor.

It may be a crucial factor, or it may be irrelevant. It is crucial in terms of understanding the demonstrations, which are, in the end, irrelevant, compared to what Rossi -- and apparently others -- are asserting. What we know is that, from the data we have, that is publically available in witnessed demonstrations, we don't know actual generated energy. We need that steam quality data, and it would need to be conclusive, or the "demonstration" simply wasn't.

At least, it was not a simple demonstration, as simple as it might have appeared, if not for this issue.

On Wednesday, Levi had assured me that the steam measurements were made by mass, not by volume. At that time, I asked Levi to help me understand how this measurement was done by mass so I could put the issue to rest and dismiss it as an invalid critique, as I told Levi.

Right. The proper approach. "Help me understand."

But Levi could not explain the measurement process to me in any detail, though he did draw me a rough sketch of where Galantini placed the probe. Instead, Levi told me that Galantini was the expert in the subject.

Great. So, then, we'd want Galantini's report, of course. What did the expert say?

He told me that Galantini had prepared a report with the details. I asked Levi to send me the report so I had something to give to readers that would support Levi’s claim. With such confirmation, the news might have been very positive. On Wednesday, Levi agreed to send me the report.

Which may have meant, "I'll try to get one from Galantini." See, Levi may have a *verbal* report from Galantini. It might be quite informal, and Galantini may not have hedged it with all the qualifications that a true expert would put in, in a formal written report on which his future reputation might depend.

Earlier on Wednesday morning however, Rossi, unbeknownst to Levi, told me in my interview with him, that Galantini never wrote a report. So we have some serious contradictions here on a very serious factor.

Well, there you go again, Steve. Basic rule: assume that there is a harmonizing truth underneath apparently contradictory testimony. If nobody is actually lying, this is often the case. So what could be the truth here? First of all, did Levi tell you that Galantini submitted a written report? What if Galantini had written a report, perhaps a draft, and Levi saw it or knows that it exists. And Rossi does not. The procedure here would be to start with a rebuttable assumption that all testimony is true, a basic common-law principle. A harmonizing interpretation, then, becomes the basis for more detailed questions attempting to confirm what becomes a hypothesis.

The testimony only becomes contradictory if we assume several things: that both Levi and Rossi are fully cognizant of all the details, that they understood the question, that they both answered completely, etc. You are correct that apparent contradiction forms the basis for further questions, but I suggest avoiding making the "contradiction" the story, unless you really get stuck there.

The bottom line, in fact: you don't have a report from Galantini. That, you know, for certain.

Levi also agreed on Wednesday to send me data or a report to support the sub-vapor experiment from Feb. 10-11. This data or report, as well, would have brought us all great news. Now, sadly, Levi says he will not send me anything I have asked for.

Again, that a source will not provide information to you is not much of a story, that can happen for lots of reasons. While it may be personally interesting, i.e., that Levi promised you something but then reneged, is not really of lasting importance. Legally, as you know, the promise was void for lack of consideration, he merely thought it best to tell you he'd provide the report, and probably intended to, then changed his mind because you were such a jerk, in his mind. Or he was convinced that you were positively dangerous. And I can speculate about worse than that.

Or he changed his mind for other reasons, and your speculation and my speculation about those reasons is not a reportable story! Unless, of course, you want to make yourself the center of the story, which I recommend you drop like a hot potato. It can ruin your career.

Why? He says it is because I failed to mention the linear effect of a mass-based steam enthalpy in my quick report. But my mention of the linear effect of a mass-based steam enthalpy is right there in my post, clear as day.

I can see the headline in the newspaper: "Angry Italian Professor Makes Logical Error." Okay, okay, the "Italian" is maybe irrelevant. Or is it? The internet is a hot medium, people make ill-considered statements all the time. Except for me, of course, I'm always the soul of reason and prudence.

I wish.

My report stated that Levi had agreed to provide me with the facts I was requesting by next Wednesday. Nobody should have made any conclusions until then. But Levi has decided today that he will not provide you and the rest of the public – my audience – with anything more.

Perhaps now you can begin to make your own conclusion.

We might, except for the fact that all this crap doesn't tell us what we need to know. Jerks can be right. It is an error to conclude from apparently erratic or emotional behavior that the person is wrong about some topic where they are informed. It's an error to assume from Rossi's secrecy that he's a fraud.

It merely keeps us from determining the case. That there *might* be a problem with steam quality does not prove that this problem is a severe one.

Bottom line: the demonstrations were not adequate, as presented so far. Lots of people have known that, it's not just Steve. There are other reasons to think that this might be real, and, Steve, you should be investigating those. You did not obtain enough information in your visit to make a determination, that's clear. Your job has just begun, should you accept the assignment!

You'd start, I'd think, by investigating Ampenergo and Defkalion, and the people behind them. You'd be careful about jumping to conclusions, especially based on a very personal interaction.

And, remember this: Rossi has a reason to look like a con man, it makes business sense at this point. The mystery, really, is why he arranged a public demo at all. The story is that it was done to please Focardi. Is this plausible? (people tell me it is.) Rossi took quite a risk by making the demo, it took what was a minor story burbling along in internet rumor mills, into something that actually made Wikipedia without being promptly deleted. That's the opposite of what he needs right now, unless he takes steps to increase the "fraud" impression.

Maybe the situation is like his reactor. If it gets too hot, it runs away. Too much appearance of this being real, if there were conclusive evidence, suddenly huge funding appears for his competition. It's really the opposite of what he says, one clue. He can lie about this stuff, it's legal (except for possible libel).

His story of the Snake is so off-the-wall, it's funny. Good luck.