Joshua wrote:
"No, this is not the way it would happen. Even if the power is enough to
vaporize only a few per
cent of the water (by mass), then gas will occupy nearly all the volume (ninety
some per cent). So,
there is no way that the chimney would fill up with water; that would block the
high volume of gas
forming behind it. What you have is high velocity gas in the presence of a
small volume of liquid.
The liquid gets entrained in the gas in the form of small droplets and gets
sent through the chimney
as a mist. This is not hard to conceive. Just think of an ultrasonic mister, or
google 2-phase flow.
The mist behaves like a gas, but has a very different enthalpy. That's Rossi's
game. It's amazing
how many smart people he has sucked in with it."

I did as you suggest and searched for '2-phase flow', and even refined it by
adding "steam quality"
to the search terms... I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it only took the first
two references I
looked at to satisfy me that your explanation here is very unlikely, if not a
total guess.

First ref I looked at was wikipedia, which makes no mention of entrainment of
liquid water in the
vapor... the "2-phases" are referring to the fact that liquid is flowing thru a
heated pipe, which
is apparently heated over more than just a few inches, and there are three
distinct regions: a
region where you have all liquid, then a transition region where there are
varying degrees of liquid
and vapor, and then vapor.  No mention of entrainment.

Then I found this article discussing 2-phase flow in horizontal vs vertical
piping, and it is at
least CONTRADICTORY to your claim:

A relation between steam quality and void fraction in two-phase flow
Hideo Fujie
First published online: 17 JUN 2004,
AIChE Journal, Volume 10, Issue 2, pages 227-232, March 1964

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/aic.690100219/abstract?systemMessage=Wiley+Online+Library
+will+be+disrupted+2+July+from+10-12+BST+for+monthly+maintenance

If you read the fourth paragraph, it says:

"The effects of entrained liquid quantity on the void fractions as well as on
the momentum changes
are neglected because in accordance with Dukler (3) the entrained liquid
quantity is small compared
with the quantity of the film along the wall, unless the gas velocity in the
core exceeds
100ft./sec."

Sounds to me like the liquid water on the walls is more than likely greater
than what's entrained,
unless the flowrate is real high... Certainly not the case we are dealing with.
 In addition, your
use of the term 'high velocity gas' seems to be in contradiction to the
MEASURED pressure inside the
chimney, which is ambient, within the error limit of the sensor????

My problem with you Josh, is that you bring up what SEEM like reasonable
objections, but there is no
real detailed explanation as to how its relevent... this 2-phase issue is a
perfect example.  Yes,
2-phase flow does happen in steam generation systems, and there's a shitload of
research on it
primarily because of boiling water reactors which produce the majority of the
planet's electricity,
but you have NO specifics as to exactly how the 2-phase flow supports your
CLAIM that there is alot
of entrained liquid water in Rossi's system, nor any third-party supporting
references to support
your position.  In fact, the second webpage I went to in the search that you
suggested I do,
resulted in finding a statement that could very well refute your claim... it is
at least
contradictory.

Gotta git...

-Mark