At 08:49 AM 7/30/2011, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Damon Craig <<mailto:decra...@gmail.com>decra...@gmail.com> wrote:

It irritates me to no end. All the rational evidence we have been presented supports the claim that water spills through the outlet.

No, that cannot be happening. As Storms pointed out, there would be no steam at the end of the hose. As I pointed out, the temperature would immediately fall below boiling. It would be obvious.

That is based on an assumption that the water is below the boiling point. If water is being vaporized, even a low percentage of it, the water will quickly reach boiling, for all the water flowing into the hose from the cooling chamber will be at boiling, and we know this from the chimney temperature. If the water in the hose is below boiling, it will rapidly be heated by sparging steam.

Further, it's obvious that water spills out through the outlet, at least part of the time. That's how the reactor starts up! It starts with all the water spilling out. Then what happens?

I think it's fascinating that nobody reports having watched the transition. I.e, this thing starts with water flowing out the hose. The E-cat temperature starts to rise. Water is still spilling out, but it's getting hotter.

At some point something happens. Watching that transition could provide some very interesting clues. I think this is what would be seen: when the E-cat temperature hits boiling, very rapidly all the standing water in the hose would be blown out of the hose. Yet at this point, only a small percentage of water would be being vaporized, because the E-cat has just reached the boiling point. There would be the *appearance* of steam, it would be at the *temperature* of steam, but it would be wet steam.

It would become dryer if heat evolution increases. Does that evolution increase?

How would we know?

To know, we'd have to know the dryness of the steam.

And how would we know that?

Jed, I assume you have read the reports that the manufacturer of the humidity meter Galantini used has confirmed that it cannot be used to measure steam quality. Period. You'll need something else, they said. Sorry. I'd come to the same conclusion from reading the specifications, but also from the general nature of a humidity meter. You were highly skeptical of that, dismissive, as if anyone challenging this was challenging all expertise and common sense. Are you going to acknowledge the error? Can you understand how you fell into this?

That might be useful.

It is possible to notice the taste of one's foot. From that, one might be able to detect foot-in-mouth much more quickly next time.