At 09:17 PM 8/10/2011, you wrote:
Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <<mailto:a...@lomaxdesign.com>a...@lomaxdesign.com> wrote:

This depends on the probe. However, from other data (such as probe rated temperature of 150 C.) the probe has an accuracy of +/- 0.4 C. He's greatly overstated the accuracy, it seems, and that is crucial here. The *resolution* is 0.1 C., and I think he munges that into +/- 0.05.

5- I made my measurements only when the temperature was exactly 100.1 Celsius

Plus or minus 0.4 C.

I have a number of electronic and red-liquid thermometers. I have never heard of one with higher resolution than accuracy, after you calibrate. That makes no sense. If it was plus/minus 0.4 deg C they would set the display to show only half-degrees. (Some do that.)

No, they wouldn't. You can use the resolution to make temperature comparisons. Jed, maybe I misread the specifications. I did not, however, make this up. And I do know for a fact that most instruments have higher resolution than accuracy. I'm surprised you way what you said.

Also, I have not heard of a thermocouple that goes from 0 to 150 deg C but is plus/minus 0.4 deg C. That's 0.3% accuracy. My old Radio Shack one circa 1975 was like that, which is why it displayed only 0.5 deg C increments. I doubt any modern laboratory grade electronic instrument would is that inaccurate. Here are the specs for my Omega HH12B:

Measurement Range: -200 to 1372°C (-328 to 1999°F) Accuracy (Type K Chromium-Alum): ± (0.1% rdg +1°C) on -60 to 1372°C ± (0.1% rdg +2°C) on -60 to -200°C ± (0.1% rdg +2°F) on -76 to 1999°F ± (0.1% rdg +4°F) on -76 to -328°F

<http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=HH11B>http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=HH11B

That's 0.1%, for an instrument costing $74. It has a gigantic range, but anyway it is 0.1%.

Apples and Oranges. Sure, it might be possible to calibrate the thing. Galantini mentioned no calibration.

Now, I didn't check something. There is a high-precision probe, but Galantini has not specified it.

It does have an accuracy of +/- 0.05 C.

However, Galantini, in his mail to Krivit, said he used "testo 176 H2" That's a 4-channel data logger for temperature and humidity. Accuracy, +/- 0.4 C. (Resolution 0.1 C). But those are the probes that come with it.

I have some probes for my LabJack. I think I bought the cheap probes, they are +/- 1 C. The more expensive probes are +/- 0.4 C. Apparently that's some kind of common standard accuracy.... Resolution is not a probe characteristic, this is an analog device. The cheaper probe provides a voltage, 10 mv/degree K. The higher accuracy probe provides about 18 mv per degree K. The resolution is the resolution of the voltmeter, and don't remember how that works out, with the A/D converters in the LabJack....

This isn't about percentage accuracy. It's about absolute temperature accuracy.