Peter Heckert wrote:

Yes, Rossi can look inside, but we cannot, so we cannot accept it.

Even if the pope himself swears it on the holy bible I would not finally believe this before I have seen it myself.

Do you mean: 1. Until you see an actual machine in operation? Or 2. Until you have seen the nuclear-active material itself?

If you mean 1: I do not understand why you will not take the word of NASA researchers, or Prof. Levi for that matter.

2. I have seen several cold fusion cathodes. You can't tell anything by looking at them. Even if you could see the powder and the inside of the cell, it would tell you nothing and give you no reason to believe the thing is actually a nuclear reactor. You have to spend weeks examining it with SEM and other clever gadgets. You have to be an expert in using these gadgets.

So Rossi requests more faith and believe from me than the pope would ever request.

You seem to be rejecting Rossi, NASA and Defkalion. How long are you going to continue with this policy? How many scientists must observe this thing before you will take their word that it is real?

I cannot understand this extreme skepticism. Other researchers have reported heat from nickel hydrides. many others have reported heat from palladium deuterides. Why is it such a stretch to believe Rossi? just because the power density and absolute power is higher that is no reason to doubt these results, or to classify them as being more difficult to believe. On the contrary, higher power and higher temperatures are easier to measure and therefore easier to believe.

It seems some people find this difficult to believe because it means the Rossi device is suitable for practical applications. Why should this make it harder to believe?!? Did you suppose that cold fusion would remain a laboratory curiosity forever? This makes no sense to me. Nothing about cold fusion ever indicated that it would necessarily remain a small-scale laboratory curiosity, like muon catalyzed fusion. On the contrary, since the early 90s there have been many reports of large heat releases and high temperatures. It was clear that if the reaction could be controlled it could become a practical source of energy.

There are some cold fusion researchers who disagree with this. Mizuno, McKubre and a few others agree with me, saying it was clear all along that cold fusion could be practical, and making it practical was the entire purpose of the research.