On Sep 1, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Jed Rothwell wrote:

Horace Heffner wrote:

Here is what all the opinions in the world cannot change: liquid flow test proves that the machine is producing 12 to 16 kW of excess heat. Period.

Again, where is the data for this test.

http://lenr-canr.org/News.htm#Rossi18HourTest

(with links to NyTeknik)

And do not tell me this data is incomplete. It is all you need to know, contrary to what Lomax asserts.

Well, that apparently is all you need to know.  I need to know more.

[snip]

My first reaction is: did it not occur to anyone in 18 hours to reduce the flow by a factor of 10 so as to get more reliable numbers? The restriction would not have to be precise. Everything depends on the flow meter anyway. It would just be a matter of turning the faucet down, or inserting a flow restrictor. This does not negate the ou results however.

This quote strikes me a strange: "He [Levi] confirmed that the reactor chamber, supposedly containing nickel powder, the secret catalysts and hydrogen gas, had a volume of around one liter."

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/LeviGreportonhe.pdf

Other reports refer to the reactor chamber as being about 50 ml. Photos seem to confirm this. This must have been a special device for this test.

It was interesting, with regard to "heat after death" computations, that "30 kg is due to lead".

Lewan states (quotes without quotes?): "Initially, the temperature of the inflowing water was seven degrees Celsius and for a while the outlet temperature was 40 degrees Celsius. A flow rate of about one liter per second, equates to a peak power of 130 kilowatts. The power output was later stabilized at 15 to 20 kilowatts." Jed uses 3000 L/ h, or 0.83 liter/sec. Not that a 20% difference is significant.

The above comments are not germane, but just seem noteworthy.

Since we don't know the geometry of the device, we don't know where and how the output thermometer was located. If it is in a metal well, it is possible that it was heated slightly via the high thermal conductivity of copper between the resistance heater and the thermometer.

It is an obvious question with regard to the heat excursion as to whether it might have been due to a momentary hose kink, or a momentary drop in city water pressure. We don't know how often the flow meter was read. If the "surge" lasted one tenth the time interval between flow meter readings then the apparent flow reduction would be 10% while the thermometer was registering a 40°C jump, leaving the impression there was a huge power output when there was not.

It seems to me surprising there was no follow up public test using this protocol. The test was run in February. You would think there would have been some attempt to capitalize on these improved results.

It is of interest that a 5°C rise has no commercial use, while a 50°C or even 20°C has much practical use - preheating water fed to a building heat pump.

It is notable that no control efforts were mentioned. Perhaps they were done, but there is no mention. If I had a test like that I would have been all over it after a few hours run time looking for ways I might be fooling myself. I would have tried a thermal pulse to check calorimetry. I would have measured the flow by independent means, e.g. weighing a timed bucket. I would have varied the flow rate, and inserted a separate thermometer in the hose output. An 18 hour run provides a lot of time for thinking about what is happening and taking steps to confirm the observations.

There was talk of analyzing the fuel. Nothing seems to have come of that.

It seems strange the device operates continuously at such a low temperature. This is inconsistent with the concept of quenching the reaction by introducing cold water, or by controlling the reaction using auxiliary heat.

This test, as reported, is indeed very interesting, but not totally convincing as presented.

It would be a failure to exercise due diligence to invest large sums of money, without independent tests, in a project where the key data in the public demonstrations, the calorimetry, was so flawed.

They are not flawed. This is a figment of your imagination, just as the objections to Fleischmann's experiment were. Repeatedly asserting that something is flawed does not actually make it flawed. If the calorimetry had been flawed the second test with cooling water would have revealed this. It is fundamental to the scientific method that if you suspect there may be a problem you do a second experiment with different instrument types of different procedures to either confirm or disprove the results. That is the only way to settle the issue. Arguing, hypothesizing and debating get you nowhere. You do a test. Levi et al. did a test. They proved their point. There is nothing more to be done, nothing left to argue about, and nothing more to be said.

- Jed

I can at least agree there is nothing much further worth saying. The calorimetry issues will soon be resolved if NASA is doing the measurements.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/