On Sep 21, 2011, at 7:40 PM, Jouni Valkonen wrote:

[snip]
I have snipped material, some of which I disagree with, but seems not worth debating at this late date.

This is very good observation. If your calculations are correct, then
it should be very good evidence for inconsistencies. Perhaps this is
the reason why Rossi has said that his new E-Cat has more effective
heat exchangers than stainless steal. However this issue has been
discussed in Rossi's blog a lot and he is perfectly aware that
stainless steal is poor heat conductor. Perhaps this issue is under
control or perhaps not. Especially bad shadow this casts for Levi's
observed "130 kW power surge" during the 18 hour test. (I thought
previously that it was measuring error, but now I am sure that it was
measuring error)

However it would have been good question to ask how thick walls steal
reactor chamber had?

Yes, but can anything said about the inside of the E-cat be believed? There are numerous self-inconsistencies in Rossi's statements, and behaviors. These things may be justifiable in Rossi's mind to protect his secrets. Whether justified or not, such things damage credibility.

One thing is for sure: if the E-cat is operated at significant pressure then 2 mm walls would be too thin at high temperatures. Also, there are other limits to surface steam generation I have not discussed, that take precedence at high power densities. One limiting factor is the ability of the catalyst and hydrogen to transfer heat to the walls of the stainless steel container, a process which would likely be mostly very small convection cell driven. Again, we know too little about the internals. Nothing much new about that. A heat transfer limit is reached if a stable vapor film is formed between the walls of the catalyst container and the water. The top of the catalyst container may be exposed to vapor, thereby increasing the thermal resistance, the effective surface area. At high heat transfer rates bubbles can limit transfer rates. It would be an interesting and challenging, though now probably meaningless, experiment to put 4 kW into a small stainless steel container under water and see what happens, see if the element burns out, etc.

===

Very good analysis about the test anyway. Thanks for that.

Thank you.

Here is something else to analyze.

REPORT ON HEAT PRODUCTION DURING PRELIMINARY TESTS ON THE ROSSI “NI- H” REACTOR.
Dr. Giuseppe Levi
http://22passi.blogspot.com/2011/01/report-ufficiale-esperimento- della.html?m=1

There does not seem to enough information there to analyze that does not have similar problems to the subsequent tests. Also, these tests have been discussed for a very long time and probably anything significant to be said about them has been said.

    –Jouni

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/