I think Rossi is saying that the demonstration will be the first time he
turns on all units in the big reactor. In my opinion, the chances of it
working the first time are between zero and none, in my opinion. That is not
to say it cannot work, but only that an untested machine of such complexity
is bound to have problems. This is not the Chicago Pile-1. That was much
simpler and it was well understood theoretically.

I told Rossi that I think the machine may be very dangerous, that I do not
think he has permission from the government to turn it on, and that it would
take a team of expert engineers months to turn this on, gradually working
their way up from running 1 reactor to 2, 3 and so on. I urged him not to do
this test, because it is dangerous, foolhardy, and has no scientific
significance at all. It proves nothing that a kilowatt-scale test does not
prove.

He did not respond to me, but I suspect he had me in mind on some of his
remarks here about "lecturers of calorimetry and engineering." For the
record, in my opinion telling someone they should insert an SD card into a
SD-capable meter does not rise to the level of "lecturing" about calorimetry
or engineering. It is more like what you would tell a 7th grade student in a
science class. The fact that he did not do this is a strong indication that
he is not qualified to test a novel, untried, 1 MW nuclear reactor. He says
some other unnamed "customer's consultant" will do the test. There is not
enough time between now and the end of the month for a consultant to design
a reasonable test that meets minimum requirements for safety and
calorimetry. Unless this consultant has been working on the project for
months, and has spend hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars
preparing, this consultant is not qualified to do this, and in my opinion
the authorities should not allow it.

Steam production at 1 MW is terribly dangerous. A steam explosion from that
could easily flatten a building and kill dozens of people.