Stephen A. Lawrence <sa...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 11-10-17 03:50 PM, OrionWorks - Steven V Johnson wrote:
>
>> Robert,
>>
>> You state:
>>
>>  You [Mr. Rothwell] may disagree, and now be 100% convinced, but it's your
>>> personal attacks that are troubling.
>>>
>> Where has Mr. Rothwell attacked you personally?
>>

> Well, if Robert is claiming that there was no energy generated, then the
> item from Jed which he quoted would apply to him, and that sure sounds like
> an ad hominem to me:
>
> "Skepics who claim that ... there was no energy generated ... are ignorant.
> They lack 7th grade knowledge of physics."
>
> That is not an attack on the arguments.  That is an attack on the skeptics,
> themselves.  Jed has personally attacked /all/ "Rossi skeptics", it would
> seem.

It would not be an attack on Robert if Robert is, in fact, in the 7th grade.
He might be. Or his science education may have ended then.

There are many people who have no knowledge of science beyond junior high
levels. I have met some high and mighty Wall Street investment bankers
interested in cold fusion who would not know the Second Law of
Thermodynamics if it bit them on the butt.

Such people are common in the U.S., and always have been. Read Mark Twain
and you will see.

Being ill-educated it not dishonorable. What is dishonorable is to refuse to
educate yourself more; to challenge your assumptions; or to perform a simple
test in the kitchen to see what happens to hot water in a poorly insulated
metal vessel in 4 hours.

I am pretty sure this is junior high level material because somewhere I have
a junior high physics textbook, in Japanese. I recall this kind of thing was
covered in it. Granted, their classes tend to be more advanced than ours.
Anyway, I can't find it.