My PV system uses a 5kW grid tie DC-AC inverter that is all solid state,
no moving parts (not even a fan), and is 96% efficient.  It has been
working beautifully for the last 3 years.

Note that unless you make a provision to throttle the E-cat, you will
have to at least provide a sacrificial load into which you can dump the
excess electricity when the house demand is not as much as the E-cat is
producing.  This would be the benefit of having the community or large
scale grid system - the grid can become your sacrificial load.  That's
what my PV system does today.  I produce far more power during the day
than I am using and the excess is pumped into the grid, for which I
receive credit.  I then can take it back from the grid at night (or any
time - when a cloud comes) at the same price as I was credited for
putting it in (this is called "net metering" and is required by the
Florida Public Service Commission), resulting in 100% perfect storage in
the grid (from my perspective) with no batteries required.

Overall, the distributed generation system is more robust against
failure and more efficient even if the wires are present because the
current in the wires is reduced by your local generation.  But if you
use even a community system, you still have to deal with the
distribution wire problem, cost, and undesirable appearance.

The cool new product category is the concept of CHP - cogeneration of
heat and power.  There is already an industry forming around this for
producing power from concentrated solar or some other high grade heat,
producing electricity for the home, and then using the waste heat to
heat the home.
Bob Higgins