Well, my scenario was thought from a perspective of e-cat technology, not
deuterium-based cold fusion.
And I do agree with almost everything you say about costs. The point is: how
long does it take? Not every family, company nor country is wealth enough to
just give it up on old technology and adopt new ones, even if the new one is
way much cheaper to mantain. There is a sunk cost that needs to be
recovered.

That's why companies who have a large amount of it's costs related to energy
much more likely to adopt the technology first. Then old-fashioned
technology prices will drop, making it less urgent for other energy
consumers to rush into the new technology.

Real cost of oil to Saudi Arabia is not US$ 100 per barrel. It's way, way
cheaper. It's just that they make more money selling it to USA, Europe or
China than burning it on their backyards. Opportunity cost is what makes oil
expensive to saudis and russians, not "real" cost of obtaining oil.
Eventually, when the technology goes mature, we'll see e-cats used in large
scale in Saudi Arabia.

As to the keynote speaker on the National Association of Carriage Builders,
he was not wrong. Cars were very expensive those days. What made his speech
stupid was not the car itself, but the astonishing productivity of Ford's
assembly line.

Of course, cars were much more efficient than carriage. *Carriages were
doomed anyway*, but what made their market disappear so fast was Henry Ford,
not Ford Model T.

Best regards,

Bruno