Iron is far from the best heat storage medium.  Graphite can store up to
1.5kWh/kg or nearly 3kWh/l in a vacuum enclosure.  1.5GJ from 50 modules
would only require about 16kg or 8 liters per module.

There are also a lot of high heat of fusion materials:
LiH that requires about 1.6kWh/kg to heat from room temp to melt at 960K
(~1.3kWh/L)
Silicon metal that releases 0.8kWh/kg to heat up and melt at 1700K
(~1.9kWh/l)
LiF that releases 0.6Wh/kg heating to melt at 1120K (~1.5kWh/L).

Other posiblities on p17:
dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/35343/20099220.pdf

It would also be easy to create a thermal storage vessel that would only
release significant heat when immersed in water, just insulate it and use a
carefully designed heat transfer area or tube that penetrates the
insulation.  Air has such low density compared to water that this would cut
heat loss massively until immersed thereby allowing heating during startup
phase or hours beforehand before it needed to deliver the goods.

The chimney unit in the early demos could hide such a thermal store, and
there is more than enough space in later fat-cat modules to do this sort of
thing.

All unlikely, but does raise the bar on standards required for an
unambiguous demonstration.