From: Joshua Cude <joshua.c...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sat, Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am
Subject: Re: [Vo]:[Vo] : ECAT 1 MW System-Dazzle or Fizzle

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Mary Yugo <maryyu...@gmail.com> wrote:

(1) why is the temperature so stable, requiring power stability of 1%

The temperature is not stable. It fluctuates considerably, as you see in the
cooling loop data.

The fluctuation is clearly less than +/- 5C. If that is dry steam, and the flow
rate is constant, then the power is proportional to (620 + 0.5 deltaT). Which
means that +/- 5C corresponds to +/- .5 %, or stable within a 1% range. If the
output is a mixture of phases, then it would be at the boiling point, and then
the small fluctuation would correspond to fluctuations in pressure, which is
not too hard to believe.

People who believe in the stable do not understand that water at one atmosphere
does not get any hotter than ~100°C.

Everyone understands that. We're talking about dry steam. Rossi claims the
output is dry steam, and dry steam can get hotter than 100C at atmospheric
pressure.

When you increase power, more water boils but the temperature does not go up.

That's only true if the heating elements are submerged. But what would happen
if more water boils, is the water level would drop, exposing the heating
elements, and causing the steam to increase in temperature.

But if you're claiming that the reason for the stable temperature is that the
heaters are submerged, and that the water is at the boiling point, then we
agree. Yay.

If the output is at the boiling point, then how does Rossi know that it is dry
steam? If it's at the boiling point, it could be anywhere from 0% to 100%
steam. You need some other measurement to determine the fraction of the water
that gets vaporized.

(2) how does he get an 8-fold increase in power transfer in a few minutes, if
the first-fold power increase took 2 hours.

This question is nonsense. The reaction took a long time to initiate, but once
it got going it increased rapidly.

..revealing that you don't even understand the question. I have no problem with
the power from the ecat core jumping instantly from zero to 470 kW. But to
transfer that heat to the water requires the heating system to get much hotter.
There's a lot of thermal mass there that has to get hot, as is observed in the
pre-heating stage. How does the heat from the ecat heat up that thermal mass so
much faster than the electric heater does. It has about 3 times higher power,
but the claim is it heats it up the thermal mass 8 times as much in 40 times
less time. How does that work? And it's worse than that, because as more of the
water is vaporized, it takes more of the power out, leaving less power to heat
the element, so as total vaporization is approached, the heating up slows down.

It would almost certainly take hours to reach dry steam if the ecat really did
produce 470 kW, which means that until that point is reached, the temperature
is at the boiling point. Then the chance that the temperature would not
increase when dry steam was reached is astronomically remote. In any case, the
fact the temperature *doesn't* increase above boiling, means there is simply no
evidence that the steam is dry.

Excellent questions.  Perhaps Jed Rothwell can address them?

No point in asking him. He's been over this dozens of times, and not just with
me, but with Lawrence and others. He will never understand these points. In the
spring, Rothwell insisted until he was blue in the face that steam cannot be
heated above 100C at atmospheric pressure, even though it was pointed out to
him that the air he breathes is ~200C above its boiling point at atmospheric
pressure. It wasn't until a "scientist friend" (presumably Storms) took him
aside, that he relented. But he still has problems with the concept as
illustrated in his response above.

It was after this that I realized that one can't put much confidence in his
technical analyses, and that he can be supremely confident, even when he is
wrong about something taught in grade school.

Of course he'll never learn from my posts, because he doesn't read them unless
they're quoted. I guess it's the ostrich mentality.

Anyone can address them.

Not you, evidently.