On Dec 4, 2011, at 1:10 AM, Peter Heckert wrote:

Am 04.12.2011 05:07, schrieb Horace Heffner:

That is because Bill did not call them "water thread" experiments. My mistake, and bad memory. The above wasser.html reference was indeed about water bridge experiments, not Bill Beaty's air thread experiments, which are a very different thing - thread lengths up to 60 cm.

Thank you for confirmation.
Yes, it is miraculous that these threads are so sharply focussed.

"Air Ions" behave strangely, this was known before. I think they follow the electrical lines of field, but because they are charged, they also distort the field. It should be expected they repell and distribute, but they dont. Possibly they follow only the strongest maximum in the field, this might explain it partially.

I think this "follow the field line" explanation is totally wrong of course. See my calculation here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg20519.html

Also, note that the beam maintains its integrity even after passing through a grounded ring above a grounded witness pan, i.e. where there are no field lines.

Now, an electron beam also does not diffuse, physics is often counterintuitive.

An electron beam moves at the speed of light. The "air thread" moves at about 10 miles per hour, 4.5 m/s. There is an extreme difference in the time lateral forces have to act.

I am familiar with air ions. The phenomenon measured by Bill Beaty in the presence of much water vapor, and having nano-amp current, I think is not made of non-polarized air molecules, but of a contiguous string of polarized molecules. Here is one way to tell:

http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg20467.html

Note: the water bridge lost stability in the presence of carbon dioxide, due to ion conduction. Bill Beaty's air bridge worked better in the presence of carbon dioxide. I think this is because it is the structure of the thread that permits proton conduction, and the CO2 molecule works just as well as an H2O molecule in that structure for that purpose.

I have often made the experince, that 50 cm away from a charged electrode, I can suddenly feel a cool flow and smell ozone. With these air threads this is easily explained. I also by accident pointed with a charged needle on an microamperemeter from 50 cm distance. Suddenly the meter displayed a current and this current was there without cables connected. It was a conventional analog meter and had a plastic glass (plexiglass) at the front. It turned out, that this plexiglass was permanently charged. The charges where embedded into the plastic and it was impossible to remove them. Finally I removed the glass and washed it a minute under warm water. Then they went away.

There are also reports that air ions can charge an isolated object meters away.

Air ions are not necessarily identical with those ions, that we have in modern physics. It is a historical name, "Ion" is the greek name for "wanderer". The name existed more than hundred years ago, when the modern concept of "Ion" was unknown. "Air Ions" are simply charged amounts of air and this can be charged molecules or clusters of molecules or whatever. The precise structure is unknown, because the lifetime is only some minutes. Biophysicists and architectural physicists and weather physicists know more about them than chemists or particle physicists.

They are important for climate and there are measurement instruments for them.

Here is a company that makes this instruments and they have a very good article about natural air ions:
http://www.trifield.com/content/about-air-ions/

For example these ions can exist in a positive negative-mixture without discharging and this can be measured. They behave very strangely and miraculous. I believe there is a lot of fluid dynamic effects involved and in fluid dynamic, which is a multi body problem, there are often effects observed that are counter intuitive.

best regards,  Peter

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/