Am 04.12.2011 13:40, schrieb Horace Heffner:

I am familiar with air ions. The phenomenon measured by Bill Beaty in the presence of much water vapor, and having nano-amp current, I think is not made of non-polarized air molecules, but of a contiguous string of polarized molecules. Here is one way to tell:

http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg20467.html

Note: the water bridge lost stability in the presence of carbon dioxide, due to ion conduction. Bill Beaty's air bridge worked better in the presence of carbon dioxide. I think this is because it is the structure of the thread that permits proton conduction, and the CO2 molecule works just as well as an H2O molecule in that structure for that purpose.

Yes the CO2 effect in water is easyly explained:
CO2 dissolves in water and makes it conductive. The current will increase.
This causes breakdown of voltage and electrostatic forces.
If the HV supply is stron enough to maintain the voltage, the water will
boil and this interrupts the thread.

I have observed the air threads in dry air. Of course they are not visible,
but the effects can be observed.
The air blow, if directed on easy to move objects like hair or feathers or
wool moves them.

I believe this are threads in air, that are charged and also are electrically conductive. This means, as soon as the tread is interrupted, there will be a strong voltage difference at the interrupted position. This generates electrostatic forces that again close the gap.

It is very similar to the water thread mechanism, it is a flow-force equilibrium.

The currents in air are microamperes and nanoamperes, I have measured them too.
This is more easy to do than most people think.
You can easily use a DVM to measure nanoampere currents.
Typically a DVM has an inner resistance of 10 MOhm.
If it displays a voltage of 1 millivolt, then this equals a current of 0.1 nanoamperes.

The instrument must be protected with a neonbulb and filter capacitors , to
avoid destruction by HV and to avoid mismeasurements caused by RF frequencies.

100 Nanoampere * 10 kV = 1 mW. This is enough energy to make a considerable air blow.
Calculate the mechanical equivalent.

I have done these experiments and I think experiments have more evidency than
calculations, sorry ;-).

best regards, Peter