Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <a...@lomaxdesign.com> wrote:

Jed, you have previously stated that you have private information on which
> you base your conclusions as to the reality of Rossi. Please cut the rest
> of us some slack! We have no way of knowing if your private information is
> sound, or if you have been misled, or if you have drawn unsound conclusions
> from what you know.

Mainly what I know was revealed by McKubre in his recent talk:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/McKubreMCHwhathappen.pdf

See where it says "AmpEnerco Run I"

These were independent tests done by Ampenergo before they made an
agreement with Rossi. Various experts participated, including someone
McKubre knows well. He trusts his expert. I know some of those people too,
and I trust them. That is not to suggest that I can judge calorimetry as
well as McKubre can! Far from it. But it isn't hard to judge these
results. These tests were similar to the public tests conducted by Rossi,
only they were independent, with someone else's instruments. Somewhat
better instruments, proper computers and so on, but basically the same sort
of HVAC test procedures.

Okay, ask yourself this. Suppose you know that tests similar the 18-hour
February test and the October self-sustaining tests were done, with
instruments supplied and operated by someone you knew to be an expert, and
a trustworthy person. Would that convince you? If the answer is yes, you
can see why McKubre and I are pretty confident this result is real. On the
other hand, if the HVAC-style testing does not satisfy you, then you will
not be convinced.

Mary Yugo has said she demands a blank run. As far as I know they did not
do one. I think she wants to see a Seebeck calorimeter. I am sure they did
not use that. So she would not be satisfied by these tests.

That's all there is to it. I have no knowledge of Rossi's personal
business. For all I know he might be robbing dozens of investors. I do not
think he is. I have absolutely no knowledge of any such thing, no evidence,
and frankly I could not care less if he is robbing people. I am sure his
claims are real. That does not preclude the possibility that he is
defrauding people; it would mean he is defrauding them with a genuine cold
fusion reactor. Not my problem.

Here is a key issue. Rossi's personality is an open book thanks to his
website. That is unique to the 21st century. People who dismiss him because
of his personality should think about that. Suppose in 1879 Edison had a
kept an Internet blog while he invented the incandescent light. Suppose
everyone could follow along with his trials and tribulations and his
frequent crazy ideas. Now, 140 years later, you can read detailed
biographies of him. You can read the lab notebooks. You can see why some of
his investors lost their nerve and sold out for pennies on the dollar as he
floundered around spending rivers of money, changing the design
radically, apparently getting nowhere. In my opinion, his comments were no
less extreme than Rossi's; his behavior no less erratic. That is true of
many other famous inventors. It is also true of many ordinary programmers,
chemists and others doing creative work that is worthy, difficult, but
never becomes famous. It is true of some top notch gourmet chefs; a guy I
know who can climb and cut down just about any tree with minimal equipment
but frightful risk; and many farmers and fishermen in Yamaguchi. People who
do extraordinary, creative, or dangerous things are sometimes odd. If they
were not odd, they would do these things. In the past, we did not know how
odd people such as Edison were until long after they became rich & famous,
when all their sins were forgiven. Now, with Rossi, we learn of it in real
time.

My guess is that people such as Mary Yugo cannot look past Rossi's
personality because they have not read many biographies, diaries and
personal papers left by famous people. They have not met a broad range of
people from other cultures, or eccentric people, or downright crazy people.
I have. I mean that literally. I grew up encountering people who were
diagnosed with mental illness, in the era before effective
psychotropic drugs. You can read about them here:

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_psychiatric_halfway_house.html?id=8wsEAQAAIAAJ

(The authors are my mother and my aunt.)

In other words, I am used to discounting personality quirks, and looking at
the content of the work. That is not an easy thing to do. It is not always
a wise thing to do. It just happens I am good at it, because I have had a
lot of practice.