Well finding deuterium would be definitive proof of 'something anomalous'
but not fusion, since they can absolutely rule out ALL varieties of hydrogen
fusion now. You absolutely have to get rid of a positive charge somehow to
get to deuterium, and no positron is seen in an instrument designed for that
specific purpose.

No positron - no H+H fusion. It is almost that simple.

But yes ! we all agree that "experiment rules" and there could be an unknown
reaction going on here which also violates conservation of charge, in
addition to everything else - and my arguments assume either known reactions
or those that have a substantial theoretical basis.

BUT . isn't violating conservation of charge adding yet another miracle to
the one or two you are trying to salvage?

From: Jed Rothwell

*  Until they look for deuterium in a Ni-H cell, I do not think you can rule
out hydrogen fusion. I do not think you can dictate what nature can do, or
to what "must be there." Only an experiment can determine this.