What if there was a political figure up for a re-election whose
chances at re-election were iffy.

How would this political figure use this to his advantage after other
various green energy initiatives back fired?

Would you have one of your agencies buy a few units and "work" with
the inventor to claim that this was a result of a special support
program to create new industry and jobs?

What would be the outcome of an announcement that the politician lead
the effort and provided financing and technical support for
development?

When would you have the scientist's come forward with the discovery?
Early fall?  Late summer?

October?

Remember Al Gore invented the Internet!