Marten,

 I was considering that option on and off and on and then off again.  A few
things I would like to avoid that would be present with a bottom heater.

1.  A heater at the bottom would concentrate too much heat on the powder.  With
a few grams of nickel, not all nickel would be carried by the updraft.  Quite a
substantial percentage would remain in the bottom.  A heater would impart too
much heat to that clump of Ni powder.  Not sure if that is good or bad, but
from my early (and maybe faulty) understanding of the process, I do not believe
overheating the nickel powder is productive.

2. I don't believe bulk heating the powder is the best way to create Rydberg
matter.  Bulk Heating it would tend to concentrate too much heat on certain
portions of the clump and possibly melt it.  At the least, the heat would
probably sinter the nickel powder and destroy all active nano sites.  Someone
correct me, but if I remeber correctly, Nickel atom migration and the start of
the sintering process begins to occur at around 500C.  Clearly, with bulk
heating, you can not prevent heating a few protions of that the nickel powder
clump to 500C.  The goal is to ionize the powder and hydrogen to create Rydberg
matter, not heat it and sinter it and melt it with bulk heating.

3.  A heat source at a single point at the bottom of the reactor would create a
strong laminar flow originating from the heat source up and possibly get cooled
and flow down on the sides of the reactor.  While admittedly, one would want
such a flow of heat to occur, a believe a strong laminar convective flow would
not produce a significant amount of mixing.  I believe a better way would be
some turbulent flow and turbulent mixing together with a reasonalbe amount of
laminar convective flow.

If you had a vertical pipe with a heat source at the bottom and in the middle,
you would have a point heat source and that would create a laminar flow.
However, if you had something like a inverted "T" at the bottom and spread out
the heat source accros the horizontal axis of the inverted T, you would have a
distributed heat source that would create turbulence.  And then, the vertical
part of the T would induce a certain amount convective laminar flow.  This is
the kind of "controlled"  turbulence balanced by a healthy laminar flow to
transfer heat that I hope to achieve with my reactor.

Looking back at Rossi's early E-Cat design - the design he showed to E&K, I
always wondered why Rossi has that huge chimney like structure built on what is
clearly an inverted T design.  To me, it seems that that huge chimney was a
collosal waste of material for simply serving as the input port for the
hydrogen.  (The best way to reverse engineer Rossi is to study his designs and
figure out the purpose of his design decisions, rather than listen to his
blabber which is probably disinformation and misdirection anyways.)

I could never figure out the rational for Rossi's "Chimney" until the
importance of turbulence hit me.  That chimney structure is there to promote
turbulence and a certain amount of laminar gas movement.  I think it was Axil
who pointed out last year that a few grams of nickel clumped at the bottom of
the reactor would surely burn a hole at the bottom of that reactor based on the
amount of heat it was generating - over 137KW at one point during the Guiseppe
demonstration.  Clearly, distributing the heat was an integral part of Rossi's
design.  And the best way to do that is to design turbulence and gas movement
and heat distribution.   Clearly, Rossi has an inverted T reactor with a
chimney.  And then, I suspect he has a resistive heater running across the
horizontal axis of that inverted T.  Later, he probably added a high voltage
wire with it to create his sparks.  This design is the design I am trying to
replicate.  A distributed heat source at the bottom and a chimney to promote
laminar flow.

Jojo