Perhaps instead of practical I should have said economical.

You were the one who started comparing the overall energy efficiency of the
E-Cat to heat pumps anyone could buy today. As the E-Cat is targeted to the
residential market, it should only be compared to residential market heat
pumps.

If you look at what's actually available on the market, for example,
http://www.lennox.com/products/heat-pumps/ you see the best HSPF rating is
9.5. This is a measure of the average efficiency over a heating season.

An HSPF of 9.5 means if the heat pump produces 100,000,000 BTUs of heat, it
will consume 10,500 kWh of electricity.

100,000,000 BTUs is equal to 28,500 kWh. Consuming 10,500 kWh while
producing 28,500 kWh gives a COP of 2.7.

Keep in mind, this is for the best, most efficient, most expensive heat
pump available from this company for the residential market.

For a heat pump at the minimum HSPF rating of 7.7 that can be sold, which
is closer to what constitutes the majority of the market, the COP is 2.2.
Gee, that's about half of 4.5.

Sure, geothermal systems can achieve higher COPs in limited circumstances,
but have you ever looked at the prices. Compared to a possibly theoretical
E-Cat at $1,000 which heats water to over 80 deg. C, you're more likely to
spend $40,000 for something that can't produce heat over 50 deg. C. The
output of the heat pump will not be hot enough for radiators or hot water
coils in an air handler, or to heat domestic hot water.

A better argument against the E-Cat as an efficient produces of heat for
the home would be to compare it to natural gas.

Our standard electric rate is $.13 per kWh. We get natural gas at $.84 per
therm (100,000 BTU). A therm is equivalent to 29.3 kWh, so a kWh of heat
from natural gas costs $.029 (4.5 times better than electricity), while a
kWh of heat from an E-Cat at a COP of 6 would cost $.022, which is just
barely better. No ones going to be ripping out a functioning boiler and
replacing it with a couple E-Cats if they can do simple math.

In our case, the only way the E-Cat would make sense economically would be
to switch to time of day electric rates, at $.05 off peak and $.25 on peak,
and use the E-Cat to produce heat during off peak hours at an effective
cost of $.008 per kWh, and use gas for heat during on peak hours.