So a langmuir torch created by the spark  plug gap in the hydrogen
atmosphere to produce mono hydrogen with reactor temp controlled by:

1) Plug Voltage/gap distance/arc
2) Distance from plug to core/microparticles of Ni/other
3) Removal of heat thru heat xfer surface/fluid
4) Maybe every once in awhile they give the plug a good jolt and arc to the
powder to fluidize/mix things up a bit to solve quiesence
5). Trick is to operate torch/reactor > 600 C and below melting of
micropowder.  Too high temp or arcing of torch to powder "welds" the powder
together and over time kills the highsurface area needed for NAE.

The arc is maintained independently of the workpiece or parts being welded.
The hydrogen gas is normally diatomic (H2), but where the temperatures are
over 600 °C (1100 °F) near the arc, the hydrogen breaks down into its
atomic form, simultaneously absorbing a large amount of heat from the arc.
When the hydrogen strikes a relatively cold surface (i.e., the weld zone),
it recombines into its diatomic form and rapidly releases the stored heat.
The energy in AHW can be varied easily by changing the distance between the
arc stream and the workpiece surface. This process is being replaced
by shielded
metal-arc welding<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shielded_metal_arc_welding>,
mainly because of the availability of inexpensive inert gases.