I guess this is also Frank Znidarsic contention:

"If the range of the strong nuclear force increased beyond the
electrostatic potential barrier a nucleon would feel the nuclear force
before it was repelled by the electrostatic force. Under this
situation nucleons would pass under the electrostatic barrier without
producing any radiation. Could this author's original idea that
electron condensations increase the range of the nuclear foces be
correct?"

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/zpt/chapter4.html

harry