An approach would be to make a pile of carbon material that includes a wide
range of sizes, and add deuterium, say. Does anything unusual happen? Any
heating, any helium? Even if heating is not measurable, if it sits there
long enough, enough helium might accumulate to be measurable, compared to
controls.

I believe what you are saying is what NASA is doing.

If you remember, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax  said in this thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg66128.html

*But the title of this thread is Zawodny's video. Zawodny is apparently
doing the kind of thing I've long been suggesting: massive parallel
experimentation. I mostly thought of parallel identical cells, essentially
manufactured, but his design of what appears to be "experiments on a chip"
could be even more powerful. That all the "cells" are created by the same
process is a powerful approach. However, he will still need to make and
test multiple devices, i.e., many of these multi-cell chips.*

This is the NASA video which shows the chip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBjA5LLraX0

The stuff on the chip are various sizes of nanotubes (SWNT), The color of
nanotubes changes with their size and electronic properties:

See:

http://chemlinks.beloit.edu/classes/nanotech/CNT/mattoday10_12_59.pdf

Note figure 2

*Fig. 2 Following DGU and fractionation, optically pure SWNT samples
are **isolated
into distinct cuvettes. The color differences between the vials
provide **evidence
for successful sorting of SWNTs by physical and electronic structure.*

NASA is testing the performance of different SWNT nanotubes with regards to
LENR performance as SWNT sizes and diameters vary.

Cheers:   Axil