Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <a...@lomaxdesign.com> wrote:

> Well, Jed, you may be right. However, when I wrote that Pons and
> Fleischmann only had one out of six cells work -- I really don't recall
> where I got that idea, and it might be from later work, whatever -- I was
> immediately corrected with a claim from someone who was active in the field
> at the time that they *all* worked, until they ran out of the original
> material.

I don't recall hearing that happened to F&P. But it did happen to several
others. McKubre, I think. He later used a long wire in loading tests. As I
recall he did not even cut it. I may be wrong about that. Anyway, he
pre-treated the whole thing and then tested sections of it. He found they
had very different characteristics! There is no better proof that we do not
understand Pd in detail, and that More Research Is Needed. This also
demonstrates that material is the key and materials are variable for
unknown reasons.

> If you would describe the history, in detail, of your effort "years later"
> in cooperation with Fleischmann, it would be valuable for the history of
> this scientific fiasco.

There isn't much to tell. We talked about it. Martin called J-M. They
quoted a price that I personally could not afford, and I could not find
other people interested in chipping in. It was a long time ago and I do not
recall the details, but it is all in my letters and e-mail.

> (It *also* occurs that I misread and misremember what I've read. For
> example, I wrote many times that Miles had such and such success, showing
> excess heat in so many out of so many cells. That was based on reports that
> actually didn't show that many "cells." They were written about *samples*,
> many taken from the same cell, at different times.

Well, we use the terms interchangeably. He has several cells. Anyway, the
numbers in the report I cited refer to individual Pd cathodes.