That is what one physicist thinks is happening. As the plasma forms, the
gas becomes increasingly excited.

The orbital numbers of the gas atoms goes up from ground state at 1 to
almost plasma at 137.

This electric force of these excited Rydberg orbitals pushes each of the
excited atoms of the gas farther apart thus increasing the volume of the
gas. LENR in one of the noble gases (helium?) must increase the excitation
levels of the atoms of one or more of the other gases ( neon ?) .

 This could be the reason why we need various types of noble gases in the
gas mix.

As the plasma dissipates, the electron orbitals of the excited gas go back
down from 137 to 1 and the original volume is restored.

It might not be atomic vibrations of the atoms of the noble gas that causes
the expansion but the size of the atoms of the gas due to an increase in
their excitation level on the way to a plasma state.

Cheers:    axil