> Famous last words...

That's a fair comment. Let me try it a different way.

If you look at the Dash paper at ICCF, they appear to give quite specific
directions about preparation of the material. This in contrast to Celani,
Schwartz, Rossi, and Godes, who do not give such directions, as best I read
the publications available to me (and not confined solely from ICCF-17).
For example, from the Dash paper:

Ti foil (Alfa Aesar stock #43676, 99.99%, metals basis) and Pd foil (Alfa
Aesar stock #11514, 99.9%, metals basis) were cold rolled from 0.5 mm
thickness to about 0.3 mm thickness. Strips (10 x 30 mm2) were cut from the
cold rolled foils to be used as cathodes during electrolysis. The
electrolyte consisted of 1.5M H2SO4 (Fisher) in D2O (Aldrich). [ . . .
elided . . . ]

A cell with a cathode made from cold rolled Ti was attached to the Pt
cathode wire. A control cell was identical except that its cathode was a Pt
foil. Each cell had a Pt foil anode and the same H2SO4/D2O electrolyte.

Recrystallization was achieved by heating the cold rolled foils for 40
minutes at an average temperature of ~700°C with a Bunsen burner, after
which a recrystallized Ti foil was crimped to the Pt cathode wire.
Electrolysis was performed with constant cathode current density of about
0.3 A/cm2. Cell voltage and temperature were monitored with an automated
data acquisition system.

[
http://newenergytimes.com/v2/conferences/2012/ICCF17/ICCF-17-Dash-Effect%20of%20Recrystallization-Paper.pdf
 ]

Now I didn't mean to imply that repro was easy. But to me, this looks like
a science paper, i.e. like they are attempting to make it possible for
others to replicate their work by providing a sufficiently detailed
description of their procedures. Unlike some of the others I named, I find
it likely that they would assist in efforts to replicate the work by
providing clarifications (I haven't contacted them, although coincidentally
I live in the same metropolitan area.)

Has anyone tried? Not tried? Tried and failed? I'd be tempted to try it
myself, it doesn't look horribly expensive (measuring instrumentation
aside). But my total lack of academic credibility would mean I'd be unable
to influence the larger discussion in a meaningful way.

Jeff