From: Harry Veeder <hveeder...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Fri, Sep 7, 2012 1:16 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Compressed spring - what happens to the stored energy at
different temperatures?

snip...

> You could get results of the opposite nature if you place a metal bar
 between two firmly attached uprights and apply heat.  The heated bar would
 expand and push apart the uprights, but the extension force would go away
 once the bar is cooled back to room temperature.
This system converts heat into a store of mechanical energy,
hereas the spring system is different because it converts a
echanical force into
 store of mechanical energy.

rom the standpoint of CoE all forms of energy equilavent, but the
pring example suggests
hey are not equivalent.
harry
... snip