For my own edification I continued to think about the issue of
potential energy gain and loss and I realise it depends on the
interatomic forces within the spring.

Cooling the compressed spring reduces the vibrations of the atoms in
the spring, and allows the interatomic forces to strengthen bonds
among atoms and therefore shift them into lower energy states. As a
result the atoms collectively act to make the spring more rigid so the
potential energy stored in the compressed spring increases.

Warming the compressed spring increases the vibrations of the atoms in
the spring, and works against the interatomic forces to weaken bonds
among atoms and therefore shift them into higher energy states. As a
result the atoms collectively act to make the spring less rigid so the
potential energy stored in the compressed spring decreases.

This doesn't mean I think the principle of conservation of energy is
universally true, but I try to understand what I don't accept.

Harry