David, thanks for the interesting update.  I just looked at two papers, and
the figures for A/cm^2 that  I saw were in the range of 0.1 to 0.4, so I
imagine you're applying sufficient power.  Comments inline.

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:32 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

I am not confident that borax would be better than my electrolyte since
> hydrogen is the needed material and it shows up at the cathode in either
> case.

We are pretty sure hydrogen is a necessary ingredient in Ni/H.  We also
have reason to think that hydrogen by itself is not sufficient.  We should
not assume that the electrolyte does not participate.  Some electrolytes
and media that have been used in previous Ni experiments are H2SO4, ND4CL
(note the deuterium), LiOD, K2CO3, Li2SO4, LiOH, Na2SO4, K2SO4, Rb2CO3 and
D2O.

> The happenings at the anode only concern me when I detect strange effects
> due to the choice of materials.  Borax lead to several bad deposits that
> screwed with the resistance and dirtied the bath while sodium carbonate did
> not seem to have any serious evils.  I would recommend that others switch
> to sodium carbonate.

Resistance may be indicative of high loading and may not be bad.  Also, the
deposits may be desirable.  You may be setting the clock back on your
special nickel by cleaning the surface of the deposits.

Eric