Jed, I think that Diamond's idea is old, although I do not know what else
recent book you did refer.

However, Alain refers to Hunt & Lipo rat theory, where rats ate the seeds of
the native forests. The theory was explained in their 2011 book, The Statues
that Walked:
http://www.thestatuesthatwalked.com/

But this is not what caused the collapse of Rapa Nui civilisation, but
ultimately it was Jared's own favourite i.e. measles and smallpox (curiously
the Finnish word for smallpox is translated as "bigpox") did the final
devastation of the population.

As Hunt & Lipo theory is based on widest yet archeological research I did find
it sound and believable, and old collapse hypothesis is thoroughly refuted.
E.g. if I recall correctly that Jared assumed violence in the islands due to
hunger, diminishing resources and over population, but there is no
archeological evidence to support overpopulation or violence.

Also the moving of statues was not very large feat, because statues did indeed
walk to the shores and they were definitely not dragged like Jared assumed
(iirc)! There were roads constructed for walking purpose and always when the
moving project failed and statue fell, those fallen statues were lying on their
belly, if it was downhill and on their back if it was an up hill. Also the
centre of gravity was as such that it supported optimally the walking. The
larger the statue, the lower the centre of gravity, although sometimes statues
were finished when they were at target location, to smoothen the excess belly.

I do not think that there was deep religious reasons behind making statues, but
they were made just because they could do it and there were plenty of excess
food available to do such deeds.

However I agree that forests are the key in environmentalism. The destruction
of forests was not good thing for the Rapa nui.

If we would just get rid of agricultural subsidies and protectionism, this
would immediacy free the area sized of Brazil that is currently consumed by
agricultural overproduction. Almost 50 % of US corn production goes for
bioethanol production and just less than 5 percent is for human consumption.

Also as there is no protectionism it would be good idea to buy food from ultra
fertile regions such as Sudan and Ethiopia that are currently starving, because
westerners do not want to invest for the irrigation systems and buy the cheap
food what they could grown there. I would estimate that those two countries
alone could import food for one or two billion people globally. And as there is
no forests, the food production there would be environmentally sound, unlike in
Europe where lust and temperate forests are mostly cleared because of the
agriculture.

There is also additional benefits that the regrowing of forests that is sized
of Brazil would probably soak most of the excess greenhouse gases and store it
to living biomass. And most importantly, forests has the key role of
controlling and moderating the local climate as they increase greatly the local
water cycle and slows down the rate how long it will take that water is flown
back to the ocean. Currently observed desertification is not due to climate
change, but because e.g. Spain is almost completely cleared from forest. And
also some Amazon regions are threatened to collapse, because there is cleared
so much of the forests that water cycle is disturbed.

―Jouni