Dave,

I believe with most severe storms their is a weakly interacting massive
particle orbiting through the atmosphere and back into the Earth. It is
creating the low pressure and resulting static discharge/lightning. The
particle(s) are triggering beta decays with the surrounding gas and Earth.

A big particle acts just like his little brother the neutrino.  They orbit,
they decay, they collapse and they raise hell with matter.

Tasmanian devil is probably better than what I used to call them.  They are
the black areas of the Mandelbrot set, we are the colorful frill.

Stewart
Darkmattersalot.com