It would be fantastic if warp drives were possible, but they must not be
available because we are not currently being over run by alien visitors.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wed, Nov 28, 2012 12:48 am
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Apparently plausible (!?!?) FTL

Here are some relevant physics.SE questions:

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/38121/harold-whites-work-on-the-alcubierre-warp-drive
http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/8850/alcubierre-drive-clarification-on-relativistic-effects

"The Alcubierre warp drive then has a serious departure between local laws of
physics and global ones, which is not apparent in the universe or de Sitter
spacetime. The Alcubierre warp drive is then important as a gadget, along with
wormholes as related things, to understand how nature prevents closed timelike
curves and related processes." (Six votes.)

This quote reminds me of the transport ships in Dune with the navigators that
David Lynch renders like whales:

"Relativistic effects happen when you travel near light speed through
space-time. With the Alcubierre drive, you don't travel through space-time, but
remain stationary and the space-time around you is warped in a way that brings
you closer to your destination. So if it only took a week for you, it would
only take a week for your observers." (Two votes.)

Eric