Akira Shirakawa <shirakawa.ak...@gmail.com> wrote:

> They need to try a fully inert
>> wire made from another substance, calibrating through the full range of
>> temperatures that the active wire exposed to.
>>

> They're doing it with a deactivated/inert Celani wire.
> After the calibration process they reactivate it by loading it with
> hydrogen.

They are doing this now? Or do you mean they did it before but those data
points are not published yet.

Calibrating with a gas other than hydrogen also seems like a bad idea to
me. They need a wire that is definitely inert, in hydrogen and other
conditions as similar to the active run as they can make them.

It is iron-clad rule that you need to calibrate through the full range of
conditions you run the active experiment in. I hope they have done that.
Without that, there is no proof this is not an instrument artifact.

Mel Miles use to calibrate with Pd which later become activated. It takes a
week or more of loading before it produces heat. During that week he would
run it a various power levels to calibrate. That is an acceptable method,
in my opinion. You can't do that with Ni, since it turns on quickly, if it
is going to work at all.