Arnaud Kodeck <arnaud.kod...@lakoco.be> wrote:

> In current available mobiles, it is not possible to have continuous call
> at 2W for a long period of time before batteries get empty.

So, in a dire emergency, present-day cell phones soon run out of power? I
mean an emergency when cell phone tower can barely be reached. As I said,
with someone lost in the woods or climbing a mountain, for example.

If we can make the new technology capable of continuous connection in a
rare but dire emergency, I think we should. We should not stay with the
limitations of the old technology if we can overcome them.

> I’m not sure we want to have 10W heat power in our pockets.

Perhaps this would only happen in emergency mode, where the screen flashes
red and a warning sound issues. A computer voice and message on the screen
tells you:

"This cell phone can only maintain contact in high power emergency mode.
This cell phone will become hot in this mode. Would you like to continue in
emergency mode? Please answer Yes or No."

It might actually be useful to make the thing into a hot hand-warmer.
Again, this might be useful for someone lost in the woods on a cold winter
night. You could turn on the emergency mode and leave it in your coat
pocket. It would be like one of these chemical hand warmers. You can have
an "emergency heat source mode." Heck, maybe even a lighter, to trigger a
fire.

Cell phones are becoming a kind of universal tool. People use them as
flashlights and wristwatches already.