Lou,

If LENR neutrons are indeed generated as proposed by W-L, almost all will
> be in the thermal range - quite a low momentum by fusion standards.

They speak about "ultra low momentum neutrons," which I think is
significantly lower than thermal energies.  These would then collide with
nickel substrate atoms in inelastic and elastic collisions as well as be
absorbed.  The highest absorption cross sections in the graphs you point to
for nickel are ~1000 for 63Ni and ~10000 for 59Ni.  63Ni is only synthetic,
and 59Ni exists only in trace quantities, so in general the absorption
cross section for unenriched nickel will be lower than these.  According to
the charts, the cross section for 58Ni, the most common isotope (68
percent), is ~100 barns, and that for 60Ni (26 percent) is ~50 barns.  So I
think you would take the weighted average of these to get an upper bound on
the absorption cross section of a block of normal nickel; e.g., 100 * .68 +
50 * .26 = 81 barns. That would be the upper bound, I think, neglecting
other isotopes that exist in small amounts.

I looked, and it is difficult to pin down exactly how to calculate the half
value layer (the amount of material needed to decrease the intensity of an
incident neutron beam by half) starting from the microscopic total cross
section. Here we have the absorption cross section rather than the total
cross section.  The other two relevant cross sections -- elastic and
inelastic -- are going to bounce our neutrons around and then out of the
system, so I wonder if they can be neglected.  It seems that shielding
thickness is something that is experimentally determined and not calculated
analytically so much, although perhaps Robin or someone else can help us
out with a calculation.

An absorption cross section of 81 is not perfect.  It is not hard to
imagine that some neutrons would get through.  To get a sense of how many
neutrons we're talking about, consider the number needed to produce by 1 W
of power production through absorption into nickel.  The upper bound on the
amount of energy that will be provided by a single Ni(n,*) reaction will be
around 10 MeV, if I've done my calculation right.  For 1W power, 1J of
energy is produced during one 1s.  To get 1J energy, at you need

  6.24150974E12 MeV / 10 MeV = 6.24E11 neutron captures per second.

The trick is to figure out how efficient 81 barns is at stopping that kind
of flux.  If even 0.1 percent of the neutrons escape, that's 624 million
neutrons escaping from the system per second.  I assume that is a lot, and
that that would set off a GM counter.  If this is correct, the question
becomes whether 81 barns is going to stop a lot more than 99.9 percent of
the neutrons being generated and captured.

Also bear in mind that there is a saturation that occurs, where the nickel
cannot be further activated, after which it starts to transmit neutrons.
 At that point I think they would need to be absorbed by other isotopes
that have evolved lest they escape in large numbers.

Eric