Axil Axil <janap...@gmail.com> wrote:

The key mechanism of the W&L theory is defined in a way to make it very
> hard or impossible to verify.

As I said, I cannot judge the situation, but if that is the case, it is not
falsifiable and therefore not a valid theory. It also sounds like what I
call a "perverse theory" meaning one that does not help. Such theories --
or hypotheses -- do not advance our knowledge, even when they are true.
That sounds contradictory, so let me illustrate it with a well known
example:

Because it is difficult to imagine how life might have arisen on earth, it
has been suggested that life did not originate here, but that it was
brought here by intelligent aliens in spaceships, from another star.

The problem with this is that it does not solve the problem. It only moves
the problem to another planet. Life had to originate *somewhere* by natural
processes. Any life brought here by aliens would presumably be similar to
their own biology, which must have arisen naturally somewhere, at some
point in the past. Even if we found irrefutable proof that this event
occurred -- such a fossilized spaceship -- we would still be faced with the
original question: How does life originate in nature?

Perverse theories upset people because instead of shedding light on the
subject, they confuse the issue.