On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM,  <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> [snip]

Actually, my intention was to explain how free neutrons could be
created, but I guess
this is not necessary. I will just focus on my argument that a proton
and electron can collide instead
forming a stable atom. The collision results in a proton and electron
sticking together. This joint particle
 is roughly the size of a proton so it remembles a neutron from the
perspective of the columb barrier of
another nucleus.

> The only question is, would the electron be kept by the new nucleus, resulting
> in neutron creation, and a heavier isotope of the original nucleus, or would
> it
> be ejected resulting in a nucleus of the next element in the periodic table?
> (If past experience is any guide, then likely sometimes one, sometimes the
> other).
>
> e.g. H + 58Ni -> 59Ni or H + 58Ni -> 59Cu

Harry