This is obviously a complex issue.
But I think that strong belief as with hypnosis and other suggestions can't
be discounted (faith healers).

There are people who have apparently died from being made to think they
they were having blood drain from their bodies.
And if someone goes into surgery with a death wish of a negative
expectation the Nocebo effect is apparently very dangerous.

At the extreme ends of mind body relationship, there are people that insist
that those with multiple personality disorder/disassociative personality
disorder can gain and lose medical conditions such as diabetes and eye
colour can change between the personalities.

Blisters have apparently been raised by pencils that hypnotized subjects
have been told is hot.

So let's say that the mind body connection is complex, but that a sugar
pill will not always deliver a powerful mind body effect, which is not to
say it can't if there is not enough belief.

I also recall an experiment very  poorly recounted: rats being effected by
a 'ritual' where if a chemical was omitted the expected results
still occurred.
I don't recall the details but essentially this was somewhere between a
placebo effect on a mouse/rat a Pavlovian response.

John