James brings up important points with respect to hypnosis and the mind/body
relationship.  No treatment controls have been performed in many
studies--most often through the use of "wait list controls."  In other
words, one group is on a waiting list to begin the treatment, and this is
compared to the putative active treatment and placebo groups.

There can be little doubt in the reality of the placebo effect to bring
real physiological changes.  What is debatable is the extent of these
changes, and the conditions that can be affected.  Warts--caused by the HPV
virus have long been successfully treated utilizing hypnosis.  Hypnosis has
also shown benefit to other conditions such as migraine headaches,
psoriasis, and intestinal conditions.  The placebo effect is not magic, but
works by physiological mechanisms.  It is of particular importance in
studying medication for psychological disorders as one's expectancies can
have a profound impact on one's recovery.

Proper control conditions for examining the placebo effect are slightly
more complicated than using a no-treatment control.  One actually needs a
"placebo" medication that may produce some noticeable side effects because
of the research showing that patients are often able to identify if they
are in the placebo or active medication groups based on the presence of
absence of side effects.  This degree of control is rarely performed in
studies, but wait-list controls are not infrequent in psychopharmacology.

Most medical conditions have a psychological aspect to them -- if nothing
else in a person's perception of their condition.  If you are studying a
pain medication, it is important to have a properly designed placebo
control condition as pain perception occurs in the mind and is affected by
many psychological factors.

To get more of a grasp on this area, it's useful to study
psychoneuroimmunology, which is a complex and fascinating field looking at
the interaction psychology, hormone systems, and the immune system.  There
is a substantial amount of research linking chronic stress to the
development of many physical conditions.

And James is also correct with the nocebo affect being attributed to
phenomena known as "voodoo death."  On a less dramatic issue is that
negative expectancies can lead to lack of benefit in a number of
treatments--particularly in psychopharmacology.

Best regards,
Jack