On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Harry Veeder <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> That is, an effect in which a prognosis improves because the patients think
>>> they are being treated when they are actually taking by fake medicine
>>> (something with no efficacy). One hypothesis is that people respond well
>>> because they think the doctor cares for them or is concerned about their
>>> well-being.
>>>

>> Another theory is that if the patient believes the pill is effective, it
>> will be effective.
>

> That is what I meant. That's the same thing. The tests where they give the
> patient nothing prove that is not the case.
>

>>> success. The placebo and the treatment have no effect on the outcome.
>>>

>> what was the malady?
>

> I do not recall. I think there have been several studies. Ethically, I think
> they are limited to non-threatening diseases that have no effective
> treatment. I guess that would be things like back pain.
>

>> Maybe this disproves the theory that belief in a pill can be effective, but
>> there are all sorts of mind states that do contribute to well being.
>

> I doubt that. If voluntary, controllable mind states could contribute to well
> being, I think that would be readily apparent, and we would all use mind
> states to ameliorate disease. I have read other studies that show that the
> patient's attitude and degree of optimism or pessimism has no impact on
> outcome of serious diseases such as cancer.

I agree that power of positive thinking is over rated, but there is
plenty of evidence that chronic stress, fear and anxiety affect
peoples well being. e.g. stress interferes with the immune response.

> It is widely believed that the patient should "fight" cancer, or that a brave
> or positive attitude will increase the likelihood of survival. The studies I
> saw tested this hypothesis. The researchers assumed the prognosis would be
> improved with a positive outlook but they found no evidence for that. The
> results were a surprise and a disappointment to the researchers, which makes
> me think the results were real. It increases credibility. The is not the
> result of wishful thinking.

Maybe so, but there is more to cognition than the insipid concept of
positive thinking.

> The placebo studies involved a pill, but also a kind word from a doctor or
> nurse. The hypothesis was it was the latter which had the effect. The control
> was no pill and a simple statement from the doctor along the lines of: "Go
> home and call us if doesn't go away in a week." I suppose even that would be
> reassuring. I would think, "it can't be serious if they are sending me home
> empty-handed."

How culture influences aging.
Neuuropsychologist Mario Martinez looks at the influence cultural
contexts have on health, illness and aging.

http://ww3.tvo.org/video/188928/mario-martinez-how-culture-influences-aging

Harry