just because Statistics can and is used, does not mean it is required. Perhaps
the thing that I return to is having a cell in my hand and triggering it with a
B field or laser and then feel it get warm in my hand. OK, so it is not "good
science" but it sure is reassuring when it happens. Dennis
 Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 14:59:49 -0400
Subject: Re: [Vo]:If I want to see it for myself...
From: jedrothw...@gmail.com
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com

Axil Axil <janap...@gmail.com> wrote:
Until LENR experimentation reaches this level of experimental setup precision,
LENR will remain a statistical based experimental study, where success is a hit
or miss proposition.Success is somewhat hit or miss but this is not a
statistical based experimental study. The search for the Higgs boson was
statistically based. No cold fusion experiment is. No author has ever presented
statistical proof in an experiment report, as far as I know. They list the
number of successes and failures, but that is not an attempt to prove it works.
When an individual cell produces heat or tritium at a high enough, you can be
sure of that in isolation, without comparing it to other cells, or to a
baseline, and without resorting to statistics. It is a stand alone event that
is positive or negative.

Any medical study of the efficacy of a drug is statistically based. Just having
one patient get better does not prove the drug works; you have to have a
preponderance. But when you have a single cold fusion cell that produces, say,
20 W of heat, or tritium at 50 times background, that proves it is real. You do
not need many other cells -- or any others, really.

We need several labs to replicate to eliminate the possibility that it was a
mistake or incompetence. Having multiple labs is not statistical proof that
cold fusion is real. It is statistical proof that the researchers are competent.

Some skeptics have claimed the results are statistical in nature. Cude said,
"It is the need for these sorts of arguments and Bayesian analysis . . ." Cude
is wrong. There is no need for these these sorts of arguments. You can be sure
the effect is real after one solid, high temperature, long-duration test.