In an environment populated with Ni nuclei and H nuclei, the spontaneous
fusion of a H nucleus with another H nucleus is favoured over spontaneous
fusion with a Ni nucleus because the electrostatic force of repulsion is
smaller between two H nucleus than it is between an H nucleus and an Ni
nucleus.

Harry