From: Edmund Storms [mailto:stor...@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:43 AM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Cc: Edmund Storms
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: [Vo]:Speculation about hotCat

Bob, this is a good analysis of a possible design.  You are right, the powder
must make good thermal contact with the wall for the nuclear reaction to be
controlled by temperature. Just how Rossi makes this happen is unknown.
Nevertheless, most of the active nickel must be attached to the inner wall of
the stainless tube. In addition, at the temperatures used, the Ni powder would
sinter and not be easily to remove.

As for modifying the stainless using chemical etch, I doubt this would be
effective.  This texture would have to be active initially and remain unchanged
at high temperature. Such textures are not stable and would not survive the
high temperature. Rossi has done something to the Ni powder that is very stable
and not affected by high temperature.  This fact alone greatly reduces the
possibilities to anyone familiar with the materials science of this material.
Rossi is gradually letting the cat out of the bag, whether he wants to or not.

Ed Storms