On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 9:19 PM Eric Walker wrote:

> **
>

>    - We are told that the central reactor core is a 310 stainless steel
>    cylinder ( 3cm by 33cm).  There is no port for introduction of H2.  The
>    ends are cold welded closed.****
>
> The ends were cone-shaped AISI 316 steel caps that were "hot-hammered"
> into the ends.  I don't think they were welded.

This "hot-hammering" of the cone-shaped insert is a description of a type
of cold welding.  Cold welding is when two metal pieces are scrubbed
together with great force, usually heated, causing them to permanently
bond.  The "cold" part is that it does not involve melting the metal to
provide the welded bond.