Please correct me if I am wrong ... but in the HotCat, I don't believe any
H2 ever comes in contact with the silicon carbide.  The silicon carbide is
an external cylindrical heater assembly around the 310 SS tube that
hermetically contains the Ni, catalyst, and H2.  The silicon carbide could
be just a good thermal conductor to conduct the heat out of the inner 310
SS cylinder.  The SiC could also have been chosen to thermalize the
postulated low energy gamma that could be emitted as a LENR reaction
product.

Bob