If anyone is interested in the state of the art in atmospheric vortex
research, see:

http://www.issres.net/journal/index.php/cfdl/article/view/114/71

The conflation of issues raised by ChemE are so well established by both
theory and observation as to render speculations about "dark energy"
utterly unnecessary.  Ockham would spin in his grave at the mention.

Some of the thermodynamics relevant to power generation:

http://vortexengine.ca/cfd.shtml

A doctoral dissertation that appears based on an inadequate
turbulent/laminar model:

http://vortexengine.ca/cfd/Diwakar_Natarajan_Thesis_Chp5.pdf