This was on their website (see italian below).   Had to dig it out of
google cache though.  It'll be interesting to get the names of the
individuals that show up at the demo.

Patenting cold
fusion<http://www.queryonline.it/2013/05/20/brevettare-la-fusione-fredda/>
Query <http://www.cicap.org/veneto/aggregator/sources/6> - Mon, 05/20/2013
- 09:57

On April 16 the patent office of the United States of America issued the
license number US8419919B1 to a project entitled *System and method for
generating particles* (system and method for the generation of
particles). Behind the name maybe unattractive but is hiding yet another
return to the glory of cold fusion. In an article in the weekly
investigation *Left* on May 11 **(
here<http://www.left.it/2013/05/09/la-rivincita-della-fusione-fredda/10274/>
 is
an excerpt from the site of the head and
here<http://www.swas.polito.it/services/Rassegna_Stampa/dett.asp?id=4028-171642527>
 the
full text in press), we read:

He had to change his name, such as inconvenient witnesses. But after 24
years of ignominy, cold fusion got his first official recognition by the
U.S. government: April 16 the U.S. Patent Office has awarded the "United
States of America represented by the Secretary of the Navy 'a license from
the title" System and method for generating particles. "

The processes postulated a time with the name of *cold fusion* are today
more properly indicated with the acronym LENR, or *Low Energy Nuclear
Reactions* (low energy nuclear reactions). This detail "master" has nothing
to do with but a witch hunt against the cold fusion, but rather a matter of
rigor: nuclear fusion is in fact only one of the possible nuclear reactions
with energy release and particle production.

Another, more general issue concerns the patent system. Over and over again
we come across inventions often of dubious value and functioning of doubt
which purports to give credibility and scientific foundation based on the
fact that you have obtained a patent. A patent is not in any way a
substitute for a scientific paper in *peer review* and is not a statement
of recognition of the operation by the state issuing it. What is recognized
with the patent as a result of the periodic payment of a tax, it is only
the authorship of the invention filed together with the legal rights
associated with it (which vary depending on the case). In any case, the
Patent Office does not check (and can not verify, serve encyclopedic
knowledge) that the invention functions.

Obtain a patent for an invention is, therefore, much easier than to
recognize a theory by the scientific community through the proper process
of experimentation and publication of the results and it is for this reason
that the patent was often used as a ploy to make public and a sense
official theory or discovery controversial as in the case in question, in
fact patented a method or a tool suggesting that, since this would only
work if the underlying theory was valid, the acceptance of the patent also
includes a ' implicit acceptance of the validity of the theory. From the
reading of a patent is not possible to evaluate the correctness of the
assumptions behind them, and, in the case of repeating, there is no
guarantee that the invention behaves as alleged.

One described in the patent April 16 (
here<http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8419919.html> a
copy pdf) is a system manufacturer / particle detector (presumably protons
and alpha particles): revelation is entrusted to the CR-39, a plastic
material already widely used in applications dosimetric as well as in
optical (unbreakable lenses for spectacles are made with this material),
while the production is essentially the prerogative of an electrolytic cell
with Palladium salts in heavy water. On one of the two electrodes is
realized a deposition of Palladium, which, according to the theorists of
LENR, would act as a trap for protons or deuterons enabling the achievement
of concentrations sufficient to reactions to occur at low energy. Details
aside, nothing particularly innovative compared to the cell of Fleischmann
and Pons in 1989. The only effective novelty consists in coupling the
normal electric field power of the cell with a magnetic field, a technical
solution, which should make the advantage of greater speed in the filing
process.

As said, then, it seems that the recent obtaining a patent, on the other
queued since 2007, adds much to the discussion on the existence of LENR and
on their validity as an energy source. We can certainly speak of an
official recognition from either the United States government, nor by the
scientific community.
Categories: Latest from the
web<http://www.cicap.org/veneto/aggregator/categories/1>

Brevettare la fusione
fredda<http://www.queryonline.it/2013/05/20/brevettare-la-fusione-fredda/>
Query <http://www.cicap.org/veneto/aggregator/sources/6> - Mon, 05/20/2013
- 09:57

Lo scorso 16 Aprile l’ufficio brevetti degli Stati Uniti d’America ha
assegnato la licenza numero US8419919B1 ad un progetto dal titolo *System
and method for generating particles *(sistema e metodo per la generazione
di particelle). Dietro il nome magari poco accattivante si nasconderebbe
però l’ennesimo rientro in gloria della fusione fredda. In un articolo di
inchiesta del settimanale *Left*dell’11 Maggio*
*(qui<http://www.left.it/2013/05/09/la-rivincita-della-fusione-fredda/10274/>
 un
estratto dal sito della testata e
qui<http://www.swas.polito.it/services/Rassegna_Stampa/dett.asp?id=4028-171642527>
il
testo completo in rassegna stampa) si legge infatti:

Ha dovuto cambiare nome, come i testimoni scomodi. Ma dopo 24 anni di
ignominia, la fusione fredda ha ottenuto il suo primo riconoscimento
ufficiale dal governo americano: il 16 aprile l’ufficio brevetti Usa ha
assegnato agli «Stati Uniti d’America rappresentati dal segretario della
Marina militare» una licenza dal titolo “Sistema e metodo per generare
particelle”.

I processi ipotizzati un tempo con il nome di *fusione fredda *sono oggi
più propriamente indicati con l’acronimo LENR, ovvero *Low Energy Nuclear
Reactions *(reazioni nucleari a bassa energia). Questo dettaglio
“anagrafico” non ha a che fare però con una caccia alle streghe ai danni
della fusione fredda, quanto piuttosto con una questione di rigore: la
fusione nucleare è infatti solo una delle possibili reazioni nucleari con
rilascio di energia e produzione di particelle.

Un’altra e più generale questione riguarda il sistema dei brevetti. Più e
più volte ci imbattiamo in invenzioni spesso di dubbia utilità e di dubbio
funzionamento cui si pretende di attribuire credibilità e fondamento
scientifico in base al fatto di avere ottenuto un brevetto. Un brevetto non
è in alcun modo un sostituto di un articolo scientifico in *peer review* e
non è un attestato di riconoscimento del funzionamento da parte dello stato
che lo rilascia. Ciò che viene riconosciuto con il brevetto, a seguito del
pagamento di una imposta periodica, è esclusivamente la paternità
dell’invenzione depositata assieme ai diritti giuridici ad essa connessi
(che variano a seconda dei casi). In ogni caso l’Ufficio Brevetti non
verifica (e non può verificare, servirebbero conoscenze enciclopediche) che
l’invenzione funzioni.

Ottenere un brevetto per un’invenzione è dunque molto più semplice che far
riconosce una teoria da parte della comunità scientifica attraverso il
corretto iter di sperimentazioni e pubblicazione dei risultati ed è per
questo che il brevetto è stato spesso usato come escamotage per rendere
pubblica ed in un certo senso ufficiale una teoria o una scoperta
controversa: proprio come nel caso in questione, si brevetta infatti un
metodo o uno strumento lasciando intendere che, siccome questo
funzionerebbe solo se la teoria sottostante fosse valida, l’accettazione
del brevetto comporti anche un’implicita accettazione della validità della
teoria. Dalla lettura di  un brevetto è comunque impossibile valutare la
correttezza delle ipotesi di fondo, e, è il caso di ripeterlo, non esiste
nessuna garanzia che l’invenzione si comporti come asserito.

Quello descritto nel brevetto del 16 Aprile
(qui<http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8419919.html> una
copia pdf) è un sistema produttore/rivelatore di particelle
(presumibilmente protoni e particelle alfa): la rivelazione è affidata al
CR-39, un materiale plastico già ampiamente usato in applicazioni
dosimetriche nonché in ottica (le lenti infrangibili per occhiali sono
realizzate con questo materiale), mentre la produzione è essenzialmente
appannaggio di una cella elettrolitica con sali di Palladio in acqua
pesante. Su uno dei due elettrodi si realizza una deposizione di Palladio,
che, secondo i teorici delle LENR, si comporterebbe da trappola per protoni
o deutoni consentendo il raggiungimento di concentrazioni sufficienti da
far avvenire le reazioni a bassa energia. Dettagli a parte, niente di
particolarmente innovativo rispetto alla cella di Fleishmann e Pons del
1989. L’unica effettiva novità consiste nell’accoppiare il normale campo
elettrico di alimentazione della cella con un campo magnetico: una
soluzione tecnica che dovrebbe apportare il vantaggio di una maggiore
velocità nel processo di deposito.

Per quanto detto, dunque, non sembra che il recente ottenimento di un
brevetto, per altro in coda dal 2007, aggiunga molto alla discussione
sull’effettiva esistenza delle LENR e sulla loro validità come fonte
energetica. Non possiamo di certo parlare di un riconoscimento ufficiale né
da parte del governo degli Stati Uniti, né tantomeno da parte della
comunità scientifica.
Categories: Ultime dal web<http://www.cicap.org/veneto/aggregator/categories/1>