Dear Ed,

The confusion I think is this- the principle of NAE is simple, the concept
is actually very complex. \
NAE is actually an other name for active sites known from catalysis, only
a very small fragment of matter does the job, all the rest is...inactive
sites.
It is a natural law, and a distribution. It determines the strategy we have
to apply- try to create as amany as possible active sites and try to
protect them
against inctivation (those small areas are very active but the drawback is
sensivity. I am coming from the great (tonnage) chemical industry and had
good and bad experience with catalysts. I was one of those who have early
seen that CF has ...a catalytic nature and behavior.
Simple in principle, but very complex in forms and function, NAE are n ot
simple... just imagine the evolution of a nanofissure.
Anyway let's now focus on other things this problem cannot be settled now.

Peter