In the case of craters and mini-explosions, regardless of the true nature
of a nano-NAE, it is interesting to consider the implications of explosion
to the nature of the excited nucleus energy release.  If the energy were
released by phonons, the temperature would be highest near the NAE and
would decrease rapidly with radius from the NAE.  This would cause the NAE
to self-destruct before the surrounding area is heated very hot. It would
cause the explosions to be nano-scale.  However, if the energy were
released as photons, the absorption would be spread over a larger diameter
(depending on wavelength) and the NAE would not get as hot as quickly as it
would in the case of phonons.  The fact that enough heat has been seen to
have been released by a nano-scale NAE (or set of them) to cause a
micro-scale explosion suggests to me that the nuclear energy is released by
photons, not phonons.

Bob