Fractional charge carriers discovered

Oct 24, 1997

Last month, two groups of physicists revealed the first direct evidence
that an electric current can be carried by quasiparticles with fractional
charge.

Electric charge normally comes in an indivisible unit: the charge of an
electron. Indeed, quarks were thought to be the only particles with
fractional charge - and today they only exist in particles that have a
integer charge. But last month, two groups of physicists revealed the first
direct evidence that an electric current can be carried by quasiparticles
with fractional charge."All the interacting electrons are there but they
behave as if they are non-interacting quasiparticles with charges of
one-third, " says Moty Heiblum of the Weizmann Institute of
Science<http://www.weizmann.ac.il/~physics/cndnsd.html>in Rehovot,
Israel, who heads one of the groups.

The Israeli group, published its results in Nature <http://www.nature.com/>,
while a French group based at the
CEA<http://paprika.saclay.cea.fr/uk/index.html>laboratory near Paris,
published its results in Physical
Review Letters <http://ojps.aip.org/journals/doc/PRLTAO-home/index.html>.

Both groups measured a small electrical current in a two-dimensional
electron gas sandwiched between two semiconductor layers. Fluctuations in
the current - shot noise - were used to measure the electrical charge of
the carrier particles. The sample was chilled to less than 1 K and a strong
magnetic field applied at right angles to the layers. By analysing the shot
noise in this regime, both groups reported evidence that the electric
current is carried by quanta with charge one-third that of the electron.
"Up until now, there was no evidence that current could be carried by a
fractionally charged quasiparticle, " says Christian Glattli, who heads the
French group.

The results agree with a theory which was formulated by Robert Laughlin in
1982 to explain the fractional quantum Hall effect. According to Laughlin,
electrons in strong magnetic fields form an exotic new collective state,
similar to the way in which collective states form in superfluid helium. A
quantum of magnetic flux and an electron exist as a quasiparticle that
carries the electric current.

So why did the researchers observe quasiparticles with charges of a third,
rather than any other fraction? In Laughlin's theory, the denominator is
always odd, so *quasiparticles can carry one-third, one-fifth, one-seventh
- or indeed, two-thirds, two-fifths or three-fifths - of the charge on an
electron. *"It is very difficult to explain intuitively - it is just how
nature works, " says Heiblum.

"It is a beautiful result, " says Mark Fromhold of Nottingham University.
"It is remarkable that electrical signals from individual quasi-particles
can be detected and used directly to measure their fractional charge."

As has been produced in the DGT reactor, intense anapole magnetic fields
produced by nanoplasmonic solitons  can effect electron charge in the
vicinity of the soliton as these electrons follow a spiral orbit away
from the soliton constrained on the surface of a Poincaré cone whose origin
is the soliton.

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_quantum_Hall_effect
The *fractional quantum Hall effect* (FQHE)

The* *fractional quantum Hall effect (FQHE) is a physical phenomenon in
which the Hall conductance of 2D electrons shows precisely quantized
plateaus at fractional values of [image: e^2/h]. It is a property of a
collective state in which electrons bind magnetic flux lines to make new
quasiparticles, and excitations have a
fractional<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractionalization> elementary
charge <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_charge> and possibly also
fractional statistics

Note that a strong magnetic field must be present to form the *
quasiparticles.*

**